Jamaica State Park Archaeology Dig: Day 4, August 12


We are trying to finish up existing units before opening new ones. Artifacts, however, are still abundant. We have recovered approximately 15 projectile points (arrowheads or spearpoints). Not only are these artifacts aesthetically nice to recover and give an indication of the activities undertaken by the site occupants, projectile points are important because they are temporally diagnostic. In other words, they can be used to date the occupations at the site. From the projectile points recovered thus far, two time periods are represented. By far, the majority of the projectile points recovered to the late woodland period, or around 1,000-1600 AD. These points seem to be clustered in one area. The other time period is represented by a single projectile point that dates to around 3,000-2,000 years ago.


All are invited to a Power Point presentation about the dig so far at Jamaica State Park, 12:00 noon on Tuesday, August 24th.

Comments

  1. I wish I knew about this sooner and was able to be apart of it. This is a dream I've always had...and never followed thru on, from childhood. I'm not even sure where Jamaica VT is..if I could volunteer this weekend I would SO be there! Best Wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sondra BrakeAugust 13, 2010

    Oh, we stayed at Jamaica last month. I wish I was camping there now! Our friends are camping there right now, and we'll be envious when they come home with these stories.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to let us know what you think.

Popular posts from this blog

Vermont State Parks Total Eclipse Updates

Reservation FAQs: How can I add to/change an existing reservation online?

Join Vermont State Parks for Fun, Guided First-Day Hikes