Intern Ellie at Woodford and Molly Stark State Parks

One of the greatest things about camping in Vermont State Parks is meeting other friendly people. I have met people with many adventure stories about their travels and I have learned about some places I would really enjoy visiting in my future travels.

I spent quite a bit of time at Woodford State Park (and other parks as part of my invasive species research internship). While there, I saw another loon! At night, I heard a barred owl right above my tent site. The loons and owls together make such awesome vocal melodies.

This past weekend my family visited from New York for Fathers Day with their new puppy (seen above by my shoe). We went to the lake in Woodford and had a great time kayaking, hiking, and playing Pictionary in my tent just like we used to do when we were kids. There was plenty of laughter, great weather, and delicious campfire cooked food.

A few days later, I arrived in Molly Stark State Park where I took the Mt. Olga trail to see the fire tower where you see mountains for miles. On the way up, the trail showed off a forest of hardwoods. I was equally in awe when I discovered an awesome moth and one of the workers at the state park identified it as a Polyphemus moth (check out my photo of it to the right).

Another cool thing about the Molly Stark is that it seems to have some serious history. An old rock wall in the woods and old stone stoves remain where they were once used. Only now I have to guess when they were built or were once campsites long ago. I'd like to know more about the fire tower's history as well. I'll keep you posted as to what other discoveries I'm making soon!

-Ellie

Bookmark and Share

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vermont State Parks Total Eclipse Updates

Reservation FAQs: How can I add to/change an existing reservation online?

Join Vermont State Parks for Fun, Guided First-Day Hikes